Saturday, June 4, 2011

PART C - Implementation

I implemented the "sub" videos, as I like to call them, during one afternoon I had to be out of the classroom. Please check out the following podcast to find out how it turned out, what worked well, and what needs improvement for next time.

For an unknown reason when you click on the link below only a portion of the podcast plays, however if you copy and past the link into a new window it works properly. If you can't get the link to work by clicking on it please copy and past into a new window. Sorry for the inconvenience.
www.msu.edu/~bushally/Implementation.mp3

Below are a few examples of the videos that I used in the classroom that day:


The above video is a quick video of the expectations I left for my students of how they should act while we have a guest teacher. This is a great way to remind students that a substitute teacher doesn't mean they can forget how to act in the classroom.


Above is a video where I teach the words salta, nada and se ríe to my sixth grade class. See if you can figure out what the three words mean!


This video is of me singing the days of the week in Spanish. I use the song mostly with the 1st through 3rd graders. You can see one of my word blunders here. What's your opinion? Would you have left the blunder or spent the time to rerecord and fix it?

5 comments:

  1. Allyson,
    These videos were great! I would totally leave the word blunder in there. It shows it is real to the students! My 5 year old was totally entranced by these and giggling the whole time. She might just be singing the days of the week en Espanol!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. On another note, I am not sure if your entire audio file recorded. I only got one sentence of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to hear the entire podcast because I downloaded it as a mp3. I'm not sure why the podcast is being funky (playing from the blog).
    I'm glad you overcame your perfectionist tendencies. :)
    I appreciate the way you critiqued yourself. In all areas of teaching, there is always something to learn (if you are willing to!) Thank you for being honest about the experience, and for taking student feedback and the substitute teacher feedback seriously, and not discounting their opinions as insignificant. This is a sign of a great teacher.
    Keep up the great work. I love the videos...it was fun to sing along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your podcast (I copied and pasted like you suggested). I think your reflections seemed very strong. I actually recorded myself one time last year for a couple hours that I was missing. Did you have any problems with the video when it was playing? That was the only complaint that my sub gave to me about my lesson.

    I agree with you that you might want to wait longer for student thinking/response time...or even ask the sub to always stop the tape for students to think. That would, of course, depend on what technology experience the sub has. I know of some subs that run to me having trouble turning on the video player! BUT, if you have an easy way for turning the video on and off I agree that might be a nice solution.

    Overall, I think it sounds like you are finding ways to tweak and change your lesson for the future. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your videos are too cute! As is the story about your 2nd graders raising their hands to your video! That's really interesting that the students did not like that you gave them the answers, but I agree that more wait time could have helped. I think the expectations video was a great idea as well. I'm sure any sub would really appreciate such videos.

    ReplyDelete