Monday, June 13, 2011

PART D - Findings and Implications


The problem that I was addressing is that when I am not in the classroom no new learning takes place. I wanted to resolve that issue with videos of myself teaching the new words in Spanish.
The project was implemented as planned. The videos were left for the substitute teacher who was able to access all of them and play them for the students. There were no problems with the videos or the other aspects of the technology needed such as the projector and computer.
The following day when I returned, I checked with my sixth grade class to see how many of the words they remembered. About half of the students remembered the correct action when I said the words in Spanish after having watched the six minute video. Most remembered se rie, which means he or she laughs, because the substitute worked on that word after the video was over. Unfortunately, very few of the 2nd graders remembered the words, but it was a week later before I saw them again. They remembered learning the words from the week before, so although they didn’t remember the words, they learned them quicker so it was still a good way to introduce the words.
Besides how much the students learned, the videos also were successful in helping the substitute maintain control in the classroom. Although that wasn’t my main task it was a very positive side effect that got glowing reviews from the substitute. She had substituted for me earlier the week before and was much happier after leaving the second time and very appreciative of the videos. She thought they were a great idea. So overall it was very successful.
If I were to try to do a similar project again I would give myself more time to figure out all of the details as I was slightly rushed due to the imminent end of the school year. I would also try to think of all teacher’s situations, and not just my own, so that my project could be more easily transferable to other teachers.
Some of the things I learned from this project include that you don’t have to make perfect videos, just like in real life you are allowed to mess up. Also setting up a script might be helpful so that the video flows more smoothly. I did that for some of the videos and it worked really well. The students really liked when I used props and when I called out specific people. The calling out specific people works really well, but it also means that you would have to make new videos each time and couldn’t reuse old ones. The videos shouldn’t be too long as the students will lose interest. Finally make sure to leave enough wait time if you are asking a question and be very specific to the substitute on what is the best way to utilize the videos in order to create a successful learning experience.
I plan to create many more videos this summer that I can use in the classroom. I will make sure to include more wait time, possibly even using a timer to help. I will also make very specific, yet generic substitute notes on how to use the videos so that anyone can use it and I will be able to use it over and over. Lastly I would make sure to not make some of the videos quite so long. Besides that I think the videos were a hit and very successful and I wouldn’t change them, even if they were somewhat embarrassing to watch!

3 comments:

  1. Hello again! I think it is great that you plan on using tapes for substitutes in the future! You mentioned not making the videos so long in the future. What would you recommend for an appropriate length? This might be something worth putting into your final Wicked Project for future teachers. I also think it would be a good idea to share with teachers in the future what your generic substitute notes would look like (not sure if you would have those finished upon the conclusion of CEP812).

    I think it is great that you didn't have any technology problems with actually showing the videos. I know that was one of the downfalls to my one time that I used video lessons...they chopped up at places.

    I am curious, what "generic" lessons would you be making for over the summer? Would they just be review videos?

    Overall, as always, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did a great job reflecting on the positives of your lessons and things you are looking to change in the future. I'm curious about the generic lessons you plan to make over the summer as well. What sort of generic lessons would work on any random day? Would that be more disruptive to the flow of your classroom? I think it's great to be prepared ahead of time, I'm just curious about what your generic lessons would look like.
    I really do think this was a great project that will making being absent much easier. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allyson,

    One thing I wondered is how your substitute was able to access the videos? In my district, subs are not allowed to log into the computers (unless they are a long term sub). I would not only get into a heap of trouble, but feel uncomfortable leaving my username and password for my sub. How did you go about this?

    I also wondered if you have a teacher website besides your blog? Since you only see some of your students once a week, I bet they would have a ton of fun watching and practicing the videos at home if you were able to upload them to a teacher site. This might help the "short term memory loss" of the little ones. :)

    Awesome job! Let us know how it goes next year.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete